I am so honored to share with you a form of self-inquiry that truly is “Yoga for the Mind.” It is something that has completely transformed my life and continues to give me a direct path to inner peace in any stressful situation. The Work is a simple and profound process of identifying stressful thoughts and questioning them. It’s a way to clear the mind and fall in love with reality, just as it is. The Work consists of 4 questions and turnarounds. The questions are:
- Is it True?
- Can you absolutely know it’s true?
- How do you react, what happens when you believe that thought?
- Who would you be without the thought?
The turnarounds are a way to look at the original stressful thought from different perspectives. There are 3 or more ways to turn the thought around: to the self, other, and opposite. For example, if I am believing the stressful thought, “he doesn’t appreciate me.” I see the following turnarounds and would find at least 3 examples for each.
To the self: “I don’t appreciate me.”
To the other: “I don’t appreciate him.”
To the opposite: “He does appreciate me.”
I’ve been a student of The Work since 2009 and at 1st, I didn’t think it was possible for something so simple to be the answer to all of my suffering. So I started to test it out over and over and over again – in all of my relationship issues, health, self-judgments, work, sex, food, judgments about corporations, god, even small things like traffic, lawnmowers, & ATM machines. So far, there is nothing The Work can’t handle. What I realize is that it’s not the person or situation that brings me stress ~ it’s what I’m believing about them that creates my suffering. Some benefits I experience from an ongoing practice of The Work are:
- a greater sense of inner peace and joy
- direct experience of yogic principles such as oneness, presence, non-attachment, and non-judgment
- less reactive, more open-minded
- deeper relationships with others and myself
- less tension in my body, decreased physical pain
- fearless approach to experiencing illness, such as cancer
- the ability to see how life happens for me, not to me
- more creativity and clarity in life and work
- more compassion, gratitude, and acceptance
- more energy, less emotional roller coasters
Right now, The Work is my go-to peace tool for dealing with stress around my recent breast cancer diagnosis & treatment plan. It has taught me a completely different perspective on pain & illness: it’s here to be my teacher of unconditional love, compassion, and presence. Something I once thought would be my worst nightmare has become my greatest blessing. Follow my blog to learn more about this journey.
With this work, I continue to find that reality is always kinder than the stories in my head. I still continue to explore The Work on a daily basis and I have yet to find a stressful situation where The Work doesn’t serve me. Do I still experience stress? Yes. The difference is now I know what to do with it ~ it feels like I have the most compassionate inner support system. And please don’t believe me at all, I invite you to test it out for yourself.
When you feel stressed, perhaps your mind is simply just full of BS (belief systems)? Let’s find out.
do The Work with me
Contact me to set up a private session or invite me to lead a workshop or retreat. CF credits are available for candidates in ITW’s Certified Facilitators Program.
- Private Sessions (in-person, skype, or phone): $60/hr, 6 for $330 (save $30)
- Yoga & The Work Private Sessions (in-person or skype): $150/90 minutes
- Upcoming Retreats, Workshops, & Class Series
- Customized Private Group Retreat or Workshop: Inquire about pricing